The WEST KENT ARCHERY SOCIETY (WKAS) was founded at Bickley in 1864. It had, as it's range, a converted quarry: this had been levelled out to construct a purpose-built archery range. Unfortunately, its membership dwindled after the second world war and, by then, was run by only a few ladies of whom the two Parr sisters were of note. It closed in 1948. However, in 1947, a young teenager living in Sevenoaks wanted to learn about archery. As was the custom of the time he contacted the Royal Toxophilite Society (RTS). The secretary of the RTS put him in contact with one of its members, living in Royal Tunbridge Wells, who was also a member of the local club and of West Kent. She taught him to shoot on the lawns of her house: the bug bit!
In 2004, Bill Terry was able to fulfil a dream he had nurtured over so many years. He restarted the West Kent Archery Society shooting on a custom-built archery range in the grounds of The Butts, at St Mary's Platt.
Note: The Grand National Archery Society (GNAS - now operating as Archery GB) was a club that had been formed in 1861 to organise the Grand National Archery Meeting (first meeting 1843). It became the national governing body later in the decade.
Page updated 6 July 2022